• October 27Interested in Contributing as a Writer/Artist? Visit Mr. Ballas' Room (C250) or Email us @ [email protected] !

New Hall of Fame Program to Start at Southridge Honoring Former Students

Kyle Pinnell

It’s been almost two-decades since Southridge High School opened its doors.

Starting this year the school wants to start a new tradition, known as the Southridge Hall of Fame, which will celebrate people attached to Southridge that have either done great things during their time at the school or have gone out and found success since leaving southwest Beaverton.

The idea of the Southridge Hall of Fame has been in the works for a couple of years and will induct alumni and past sports teams that have been separated from the school for at least five years.

“The hall of fame is to honor alumni and people connected to the school to make sure that we continue to grow, build, and expand who we are,” Southridge principal David Nieslanik said.

The hall of fame is the first concept being rolled out as a part of the recent mission statement “Creating new opportunities together” because of how long the process will take.

There are four steps that will take the entirety of the year to complete. First, former programs and alumni have to be nominated by a nine-person committee that consists of current and former staff, the principal, and the heads of different school programs. Then the inductees have to be selected by January first. Once the selections are made, they will be announced to the school at the annual “Cram the Cage” assembly. Finally, the induction will take place during homecoming week the following school year amid a big dinner and celebration.

Both Nieslanik and athletic director, Trisha Shoemaker, believe that the inductees will heavily skew towards athletics near the beginning because that is the side most well-known by the student body. However, they would both like to see more groups of people honored as well.

“I think what needs to happen is we make sure that the committee is a wide array of people and we keep an open mind about who we’re talking about,” Shoemaker said. “Who is this intended for broader than athletics? I think the first couple years the majority of the people will probably be athletes because they’re very visual and they’re in the media and they’re in the news. I think it probably will be athletics, I can’t say that for sure, but that would be my guess.”

Shoemaker and Nieslanik believe that the hall of fame idea has a lot of potential and that the idea could long outlast their tenure at Southridge High School.

“I think it will be an established part of the school,” Nieslanik said. “I think it will be something that we look forward to every year, and I think it brings in the element of alumni so we’re going to run off with the alumni piece this graduating class. It will just become a part of future Skyhawks, current Skyhawks, and past Skyhawks.”

In all reality, nobody really knows where the hall of fame concept will be in a couple of years. Heck, right now a lingering question has to do with where nominee’s names will be located in the school. However, Southridge has had a lot of successful students and staff walk through its halls throughout the school’s two-decade existence that all deserve a spot in the hall of fame. The end goal is to eventually see all of their names honored.

“I think for our hall of fame the most important thing is that we want to get a nice representation from the whole school,” Nieslanik said. “We want to get a broad range, but there are some great people out there who have spent hours upon hours, years after years making this school better. They need to be honored.”