• October 27Interested in Contributing as a Writer/Artist? Visit Mr. Ballas' Room (C250) or Email us @ [email protected] !

The New Hawks

Beaverton-Southridge transfers give their final overview of their first year affected by the boundary change

Emily Moore

With the end of the school year, students are reminded of all the new bonds and friendships made within Southridge, especially from the new population of Hawks: the students affected by the arrival of Mountainside High School.

Due to the building up of this new Beaverton School District high school, many students were pushed out of their original high schools and into others. The overcrowding of classes led to the fact that juniors and seniors in the 2017-18 school year got to stay at their original schools, but all younger classes had to move to a neighboring high school. The class of 2020 was the only class made to move after already starting high school. Some students applied to stay at their original schools, but not everyone got in. This is how Southridge lost so many students to Mountainside, but also gained more students from Beaverton.

Many transfer students had contrasting outlooks on their first year as a Skyhawk.

“My year was above-average or at least over my expectations despite the boundary change,” sophomore Mia Craft said. “I warmed up to Southridge in the middle of the year and finally feel integrated after my first year here.”

Although Craft wasn’t too thrilled about moving in the beginning, Rhiannon Briggs had a much more negative opinion towards the change.

“I absolutely resented this change at the beginning of the year,” Briggs said. “I had spoken at school board meetings, written letters, and applied to stay individually, because I really thought that I was being offered more opportunities in my area of interest at Beaverton.”

Despite the strong feelings before the move, Briggs adds, “Honestly, now, I’m not mad about it at all. It was an experience that was in some ways negative, but in others truly positive.” She had to leave a lot of her friends and said Beaverton had better school spirit, but she liked how Southridge was not as “cliquey” as she found Beaverton was last year.

This wasn’t just a change for the students who moved, it was also new to the Skyhawks who stayed, not knowing what the new kids were going to be like.

“At the beginning of the boundary change I was really scared because most of my friends were leaving,” sophomore Mia Hopkins said. “I also was not fond of the idea of Beaverton kids coming to our school. I had heard bad rumors and was really scared.”

Hopkins talked about the separation of this year’s bands as last year’s band director, Jeremy Zander, along with a ton of band students had moved to Mountainside.

Despite being scared of the new kids, she acknowledged now that a lot of her friends were some of the students who had moved and she never imagined that would’ve happened.