• October 27Interested in Contributing as a Writer/Artist? Visit Mr. Ballas' Room (C250) or Email us @ [email protected] !

This Unique New Class at Southridge Introduces Students to the Sports Medicine Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kyle Pinnell

A new academic pathway has opened up at Southridge this year.

The Health and Human Performance Pathway, led by Ms. Mix, is just getting underway and it is all headlined by the Sports Medicine class, one of the first of its kind.

While students decided to take Sports Medicine for different reasons, the one constant was the teacher, Ms. Mix.

Mix came to Southridge last year from Aloha, and one of her biggest projects was to set up a health and human performance pathway here at Southridge.

Mix had a similar program at Aloha, but it didn’t work out there due to budget restrictions. At Southridge, Mix will get the opportunity to start up the pathway again where she hopes it will last longer and be even more beneficial to students.

“It’s a class that has so much potential,” Mix said. “I think the growth that takes place with students is pretty phenomenal. It’s where a lot of times kids start off thinking that this is just about working out and then they get in and realize it’s a lot of anatomy and biomechanics and all of a sudden without even knowing, because there’s a lot of hands-on work, they’re learning abstract things and high-worker thinking medical terms and that kinda stuff.”

Lot’s of athletes take Sports Medicine for obvious reasons. In the class, they learn how to treat and prevent different injuries that they might attain during the season.

Right now students are working on the shoulder and have learned some massage therapy. Some students have been eager to try out some methods on their teammates as well.

“I play sports, and I’ve had a few injuries here and there, and I’ve had to go to a physical therapist. I was kind of curious on how to do it myself,” junior Michael Ball said. “I want to learn how to prevent myself from ever getting too many injuries, and if I do how to help them heal as fast as possible.”

“I’m in pain a lot due to sports; I’m in volleyball, and I do dance, and dance requires us to move in ways a human is not supposed to,” junior Kylah Kong added. “So knowing what is causing my pain and how to fix it and things like that would be beneficial.”

While Sports Medicine is very beneficial for athletes, you don’t have to be an athlete to take the class. A majority of what is learned is anatomy and physiology which is beneficial not just for sports, but for any type of injury.

“This is a great class for people who either want to go into this field, or maybe they don’t know they want to go into this field until they actually kinda explore it and realize that this is something that they are interested in,” Mix said.

Along with gaining knowledge for their own athletic career, students have the opportunity to put their skills to test in the real world.

Upon completion of the course, students are eligible to receive a Red Cross certification if they pass the National Academy Sports Medicine Exam. This will allow students to apply for jobs at places like 24 Hour Fitness or Planet Fitness right out of high school.

The prospect of receiving the certification is exciting for many students. The most appealing aspect might be that the certification makes people eligible to have a job that pays upwards of $40 an hour.

“You know, a job where I can work with people and involve sports is obviously going to be better than just a normal job,” Ball said.

Mix acknowledges that the program is just getting off its feet, but she has already set some goals for the future. Those goals include forming a Sports Medicine Three class for more advanced students and finding more potential jobs for students.

However, Mix’s biggest goal pertains to the athletic programs at Southridge. She wants every athletic team to have student trainers that can come in and do basic taping or help out with minor injuries.

In the next month, Mix wants to open a lab where students and staff can come in and be helped with anything from starting a weight training program to getting some basic therapy.

Ball felt that having a separate sports medicine lab could be really beneficial for students.

“I feel like we could not really go there just when we’re hurt, he said. “We could prevent some of the injuries that might happen instead of getting injured and getting told what you’re supposed to do and not supposed to do.”

Another benefit of having a student-run sports lab is that it gives students another option to get taped or other feedback when Rebecca Blake, commonly referred to by students as Becca, is busy with another team or is just unavailable.

“I think Becca puts all her effort towards the teams that are practicing at the time. She puts all of her efforts into football and nothing against her, but it would be good to have more time and space for other athletes, even the ones that don’t practice at Southridge,” Kong said.

As of right now, Mix feels like the class is going great and will only continue to improve as the year goes on.

“It’s going so much better than I ever imagined, Mix said.” “The buy-in from the students, they are learning, and it works and the methods that I am teaching them it’s remarkable. I’ve had nothing but positive feedback from parents, from staff, and from students as well and they’re loving it.”

With the first year of the program underway and the lab yet to be open, the course is very much a work-in-progress early on. However, by the end of the year Mix believes that the newest CTE pathway at Southridge will be a huge success and most importantly, extremely beneficial to staff and students.

“I think we are so fortunate to have a program like this and that we have an administration that is supportive of us having a program,” Mix said. “We are one of the only [schools] in the state who has something like this. I think it’s going to soar big. In the next few years, I see having another teacher just because it’s getting so big. I’m so excited; it makes me not want to retire. I love it.”